The Vegas Motel at Tweed Heads has qualified for a AAA Green star rating as well as the Golden Chain Environmental Program
We are implementing the following features of the Golden Chain and AAA Environmental Initiatives:
- Long Life Compact Energy Saving Fluorescent lights or LEDs used in room lighting
- Energy Efficient Fluorescent lighting used externally
- Timed or dusk activated lighting used externally to reduce energy consumption
- Solar Heat Pump for Water Heating
- Windows at back and front of rooms provide efficient cross ventilation
- Eves overhang windows limiting direct sunlight to windows
- Individual reverse cycle air conditioning for demand controlled Heating/Cooling
- Ceiling Fans as alternative to air conditioning
- Heated Swimming Pool uses Solar and or /Heat Pump
Room lighting consumed 745 watts prior to the use of energy efficient lighting which now uses only 163 watts. This saves 14 kwh per room per day or up to 107064 kwh annually.
Flow restrictors on showers will save up to 600L / day (based on saving 3L/min for an average 8 minute shower for 1.7 people per room with occupancy at 70%.) Rainwater cistern flushing will save 1235L per day (based on 12L/flush, 7 flushes per day and 70% occupancy)
Based on 15L/min prior to flow restriction and 8L/min after, and 75% energy savings by using heat pump versus electric storage heating.